Nowadays, PU foam has so many applications that there is a high chance that you have used this adhesive compound before. But what exactly is this powerful material, used in so many industries? As a PU foam manufacturer, we will explain everything you need to know about polyurethane foam and its multiple advantages.
Where Is PU Foam Used?
To better understand polyurethane foam, it would be best to briefly explain its most notable uses. As we’ve already mentioned, PU foam has numerous applications, making it one of the most widely-used adhesives. Namely, PU foam is used in:
· Heat insulation – one of the most common applications that PU foam sealant has is in roof construction. This is because it provides excellent heat insulation. In fact, the thermal insulation of this material is significantly better compared to bricks, making it an invaluable material for construction.
· Water insulation – another application that this material has is in water-pipe networks, sewerage, and central heating. Moreover, it is used to seal cracks in pipes and joints, as well as a variety of other external applications because of its water insulation properties.
· Sound insulation – if you are looking for efficient sound insulation, then PU foam is the best material to use for this purpose. For instance, you can use it in gaps and voids in doors, windows, and partition walls.
· Filling gaps and crevices – even if you don’t require any particular insulation, PU foam is an excellent material to fill any gaps in walls and windows among others.
· Adhesion – finally, PU foam is often used for bonding materials. The great thing about it is that it can be used in a wide range of materials, which makes it super versatile.
What Is the PU Foam Material?
Considering all the applications of polyurethane foam, it is easy to understand that it has gained an important role in both construction sites and DIY home applications. This is the reason why you need a dependable PU foam manufacturer that will provide you with high-quality products.
However, what is this powerful material? In reality, polyurethane foam is a specialized material, specifically developed to provide insulation in various applications. You will find it in two types, which are flexible polyurethane foam (FPF) and rigid polyurethane foam.
The flexible polyurethane foam, or open-cell flexible polyurethane foam, is widely used for cushioning, such as in packaging. It is easy to apply but lacks durability. On the other hand, rigid polyurethane foam, or close-cell polyurethane foam, is used in all the applications that we have explained above as it is an excellent adhesive and provides efficient insulation. Moreover, it’s a durable material that can be used even in the most demanding cases.
How Is PU Foam Sealant Made?
Another important question when it comes to PU foam as a material is how it is made. First of all, you have to know that polyurethane foam is made from the reaction of polyols and di-isocyanates. Polyols are alcohols that come from crude oil or other natural oils, while di-isocyanates are chemical building blocks that derive from crude oil. The reaction between these two creates a foam.
However, other raw materials and chemicals are also used to give the specialized properties of PU foam. These materials include blowing agents, surfactants, catalysts, and curatives. Therefore, different materials might be added depending on the application that the PU foam will be intended for.
The Advantages of PU Foam
There are many reasons to use PU foam in a construction site, in handicrafts, and any other applications you have for your DIY projects. Namely, the advantages of this powerful adhesive are the following:
· Easy application – there is no denying that one of the main benefits that users get from PU foam is its ease of use. For example, it is very easy to apply the foam wherever you need it.
· Versatility – another thing that makes this material so widely used is its versatility. You can apply it for a number of reasons and take advantage of its numerous properties. Furthermore, it works with a wide range of materials, which guarantees that it will be perfect for your project.
· Effective insulation – the PU foam wouldn’t have become so prominent if it weren’t for its effective insulation. In fact, this material can provide sound, heat, and water insulation even in the most challenging environments.
· Great durability – what makes PU foam really stand out is its durability. This material is exceptionally great for outdoor and external applications as it is less prone to wear and tear compared to other materials used for the same purpose.
· Strong adhesion – not only the polyurethane foam is ideal for numerous materials, but it also provides strong adhesion. When you are using it, you can be sure that it will create strong bonding that will stand the test of time.
· Resistance to chemicals – one of this material’s properties is its resistance to chemicals, thus making it an excellent option for industrial environments.
The Disadvantages of PU Foam
Every material also has its drawbacks and limitations. The same applies to PU foam, and for this reason, you need to be aware of them. In more detail, the material’s cons are the following:
· Takes longer time to cure – when you are using PU foam, you should expect a longer curing time compared to other materials. For instance, curing time might vary between 8 and 24 hours.
· Prone to UV degradation – despite its durability, PU foam is a material prone to UV degradation. Namely, the material will turn yellow if exposed to UV light because of an oxidation reaction.
· Might emit odors – in some cases, PU foam might emit an odor due to the raw materials used for its production. However, this odor is barely noticeable.
The Bottom Line
Polyurethane foam is one of the best adhesion and insulation materials that you will find on the market. We are a PU foam manufacturer that provides you with the right products for your application. Use our PU sealant for long-lasting and durable results, regardless of your project.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
We sincerely invite all interested companies to contact us for more information.